What is Periodontology ?
Periodontology is the specialty of dentistry that studies behind structures of teeth, as well as diseases and conditions that affect them.
What is Periodontists ?
A periodontist is a dentist who specialises in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment of periodontal disease, and is in the position to do dental implants. Periodontists are also experts in the treatment of oral inflammation.
What is Periodontium ?
The periodontium is the specialized tissues that both surround and support the teeth, maintaining them in the maxillary and mandibular bones.
Symptoms of Periodontal diseases-
• Red/tender/swollen gums.
• Gums that bleed when you brush or floss your teeth.
• Lums that have pulled away from the teeth.
• Loose teeth.
• Pus between teeth and gums.
• Pain when chewing.
Is it possible to cure periodontal disease ?
There is no cure for serious gum or periodontal disease, known as periodontitis, but it can be prevented and controlled by:
• Good oral hygiene habits such as proper brushing especially between the teeth.
• Taking proper nutrition and eating a balanced diet.
• By not smoking
• Regular dental visits for a lifetime of healthy smiles.
When gingivitis is not treated, it can move forward to “periodontitis”. In periodontitis, gums pull away from the teeth and form spaces that become infected. The body immune system fights the bacteria as the plate spreads and grows below the gum line.
For any query, you can visit us at our official website www.pacificdentalcollege.com/contact.